With its aprox. 100 employees the Institute of Functional Interfaces is part of numerous national and international Research Cooperrations and Networks.
Four of its scientists are also lecturing at different German Universities and with their under- and graduate students are creating an interface between university and Helmholtz Association of German Research Centres specific research.
It additionally plays a central role in the Karlsurhe Institute of Technology's (KIT) training of laboratoty assistants and therefore provides yet another essential part for qualified research.
Key aspects of research:
- Synthesis, characterization and application of functionalized hybridmaterials and magnetic particles in chemical engineering and biotechnology.
- Characterization of nano mineralogical surfaces and application of natural nano particles in composites (especially sheet silicates)
- Surface functionalizing and structuring
- Characterization of modified surfaces
- Development of new laser spectroscopic procedures
- Surface coating with silan based polymeres and modellizing interactions with this surface
- Wet-induced processes in porous heterogenic materials
- Interactions of biofilms with natural and technical surfaces
- Bacterial stress and fitness reactions